Tool material performance analysis
Common tool materials:
High speed steel, tungsten carbide, ceramics, CBN (cubic boron nitride), PCD (polycrystalline diamond).
1. High speed steel is mainly used in forming tools and complex shapes and other occasions requiring high toughness, cutting speed is not too high.
2. Carbide is used for processing ferrous metals, non-ferrous metals and non-metallic materials, the most widely used, basically all of them.
3. Ceramics are mainly used in hard parts turning and cast iron parts rough machining and high-speed machining. Ceramic material wear resistance is good, can process the traditional tool is difficult to process or can not process the high hard material, high temperature resistance. In addition, ceramic cutting tools can avoid the power consumed by annealing processing, can improve the hardness of the workpiece, extend the service life of the machine.Ceramic blades have less friction with metal when cutting, cutting is not easy to stick on the blade, not easy to produce debris, high speed cutting is available. So in the same condition, the workpiece surface roughness is relatively low. Tool durability is several times or even dozens of times higher than traditional tools, reducing the number of tool changes in processing.
4. Cubic boron carbide (CBN) is mainly used in hard parts turning and cast iron parts high-speed processing. High thermal stability and high temperature hardness, and has a high oxidation resistance, good thermal conductivity and low friction coefficient.
5. Polycrystalline diamond (PCD) is mainly used for high efficiency cutting of nonferrous and nonmetallic materials. It has the characteristics of high hardness, high compressive strength, good thermal conductivity and good wear resistance, high machining accuracy and efficiency can be obtained in high speed machining. Because the structure of PCD is a sintered body of fine grain diamond with different orientations, its hardness and wear resistance are still lower than that of single crystal diamond, although the mixture is added. The affinity with nonferrous metals and nonmetallic materials is very small, in the process of processing chip is not easy to bond on the tool tip to form chips.