Common materials for rolls include: chilled cast iron, alloy cast iron, high-speed steel, forged steel, powder metallurgy, etc. They are large parts, usually with high hardness and large cutting allowance.
Roll processing tool requirements:
1. Roll hardness is generally above HSD55.
2. Casting shaped rolls, especially large roll surfaces, will inevitably have casting defects (such as hard spots, sand, pores, etc.). Conventional tools are prone to chipping and poor impact resistance.
3. The roll blank has a large unilateral margin, and the conventional tool has a small depth of penetration, and the efficiency is low.
4. High efficiency: Cubic boron nitride can still maintain high hardness at a high temperature of 1200 degrees. This characteristic determines that a higher cutting speed can be selected when using PCBN tools.
The advantages of the solid PCBN :
1. The pcbn inserts, using ceramic bond, has a high CBN content to ensure the blade's wear resistance, thermal stability and high temperature red hardness. It can easily process workpieces above HSD55 and is not prone to rapid blade wear or chipping caused by high temperature. Compared with ceramic tools, the tool life can be increased by 3-5 times.
2. The solid PCBN inserts has strong impact resistance. It can not chip or hit the cutter during continuous processing. The durability is more than ten times higher than that of ceramic tools. The blade can be positioned with grooves to make the clamping more secure.
3. The maximum cutting depth of the roughing roll can be up to 1/3 of the cutting edge, and it has a very high blank removal rate; multiple cutting edges can improve the utilization rate of the blade.
4. The PCBN inserts cuts briskly during the processing of the roll, has a deep knife penetration, and has high precision and smoothness.